Institute Chair Professor & Coordinator,
DST Unit on Nanosciences at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
A renowned figure in nanotechnology and currently Institute Chair Professor & Coordinator, DST Unit on Nanosciences at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Dr. Ashutosh Sharma has benefitted the society not only with his analytical precision that aids seeking solutions to the problems of science and technology, but also with his human interactions and behavior guided by a rich set of societal feelings & emotions, deeply imbedded in the Indian culture and civilization.
Ashutosh Sharma believes that in order to reach the path of satisfaction, a balance between cooing of heart and the call of intellect is essential which can only be achieved by Karma or the path of action.
Hailing from Rajasthan, Ashutosh Sharma completed his B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering in 1982 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. Thereafter he completed M.S. in 1983 in Chemical Engineering from Penn State University and then completed his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering in 1987 from State University of New York at Buffalo. There at Buffalo he worked with Eli Ruckenstein, a recipient of the US Medal of Science, with whom he made some breakthroughs in understanding of tearr film and dry eyes! While doing some ophthalmolic science and some thin films, he also learnt some Sanskrit, did some Bhajan singing, and made some strong friendships that last even today. He got married in 1985 while doing Ph.D. He then in 1990 came to IIT- Kanpur and from then he decided to take up teaching as his profession as he always believed to set standards which can impact the society and can benefit it and since then he has been devotedly working for the future (youth) of our country, constantly motivating them to fulfill their true potential and to follow the path with a heart.
Profusely read, the scientific dispositions in Ashutosh made him not only do the scientific research in various fields other than chemical engineering and chemistry, like that in bio-medical science, physics and materials science, but also ratcheted him to produce many scientific papers, books and patents .
His precise and accurate writing is not only recognized and implemented domestically but also internationally. His writings dispose not the country club preppy (traditional) but the astute and innovative deliverables to groom the smart IITians and promote research and development. A perfectionist, the writings reflect
Mr. Ashutosh’s persona which simply strives for the unique and different and that which can be used for the development of the mankind.
Some Selected Publications
1. Advances in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Eds. Ashutosh Sharma, Jayesh Bellare and Archana Sharma, National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi (2004).
2. Wave Dynamics and Stability of Thin Film Flow Systems, Eds. R. Usha, Ashutosh Sharma, B. S. Dandapat, Narasoa Publishing, New Delhi (2006).
o N. Arun, Ashutosh Sharma, Partho S., G. Pattader, Indrani Banerjee, Hemant M. Dixit and K. S. Narayan, Electric-Field-Induced Patterns in Soft Viscoelastic Films: From LongWaves of Viscous Liquids to ShortWaves of Elastic Solids, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 254502 (2009).
o R. Mukherjee, D. Bandyopadhyay and A. Sharma, Control of morphology in pattern directed dewetting of thin polymer films, Soft Matter 4, 2086-2097 (2008).
o J. Sarkar, A. Sharma and V. Shenoy, Electric field induced instabilities and morphological phase transitions in soft elastic films, Phys. Rev. E 77, 031604 (2008).
He has been honored by several awards for his revolutionary and cutting-edge work. Some awards that he has won are as follows:
• The TWAS Prize in Engineering Sciences, TWAS, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World, Trieste, Italy (2008).
• Elected Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering
• Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2006)
• RPG Life Science Padma Vibhushan Professor M M Sharma Medal and Chemcon
• Distinguished Speaker Award of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (2006)
• Member of Editorial Board, Chemical Engineering Science (2007-2010)
• Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (2006-2007)
• Member of Editorial Board, Indian Chemical Engineer (Journal of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers; 2006-)
• Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2000-2002)
• Herdillia Award of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers for excellence in basic research (2003)